Developing a Vision
Developing a Vision
By Gord Riddell & Kathy Ryndak
We often hear in the area of personal growth and awareness the concept of having a vision. It is a concept not limited to just our personal life, it can be applied in a great many areas including business, relationships, spirituality, and leisure. At the personal level it can be applied to the physical such as health and fitness, emotional, intellectual and spiritual. In other words it is a vast concept that can trip people up on where to begin and where to go once you have an idea.
The easiest place to start is to ask yourself are you where you want to be today? While this is a very broad question, let whatever ideas you have come to the surface because they could be the key ones for you to look at. We all have things that we like in our life and there are those areas in which we have ignored, denied or simply put up with for a long time. Those things that you like and are satisfied with just leave alone for now.
Now ask yourself why do you want this vision to become a reality? Is it something that feels right for your soul? Is this something you were meant to be or experience deep down inside you? Or is this vision coming from your ego, and the fame or fortune you envision gives your ego a stroke? Is this a way to be close to or work with someone that may not necessarily have happened any other way? In other words, how clean is your vision? Is this just about you and your soul regardless of other peoples' presence or interest in your vision? Finally is your vision grounded in reality? If you are 55 and want to go back to school for 10 years and become a neurosurgeon, that is not realistic as no medical school would accept a 55 year old student for neurosurgery. Looks like lots of questions but the clearer you are the easier to bring your vision to fruition.
Defining your vision
Now pick just one area in which you would like to see yourself in a different place or having a different experience. Choose just one. The interesting thing about working on a vision in one area of your life is it will slowly work into other areas causing those things to change as well. It is like throwing a pebble in the water and the ripples which come out from the center keep getting larger and larger and including more of the water. Change is like that in our life, when we are willing to change just one thing then we develop a ripple effect in all the other areas of our life.
Having a vision is not unlike an artists' canvas. You can see the whole picture and see and feel how nice it is but how did it ever get from a thought to such a large intricate work of art. There is one way and only one way. One step at a time. Sometimes what we envision for our self just feels too big and too daunting of a task to accomplish. We need to break it down into a number of smaller steps which can be accomplished as separate goals so that you can see your progress. You cannot get stuck on just the end result. You need to set out a plan as to how you are going to get to the big picture.
In laying the foundation for your vision you will need to look at what has to be done first to get to the finished product. Read a book, start talking to people, or taking a course are all starting points. You need to map out step by step how you are going to get to that picture. The bigger the picture the more likely you are to get scared and stuck at the initial stages. By having things mapped out you can see where you are going and where you have been. The smaller the steps the more you will feel like you are accomplishing things along the way. Keep your early steps as simple as possible. Your biggest obstacle at this point is not ability, desire or accomplishment but fear. Fear will slow you down to a complete stopping point or find lots of reasons and excuses for not pursuing your vision. If you really believe in your vision you must know that fear will play havoc on your mind, emotions and ego. It is not unlike people who we may have in our life that usually come back at us with negative feedback about something positive we would like to make happen. Do not listen to them.
Step by Step
It cannot be overstated the importance of breaking your vision down, so we will lay out a step by step approach.
- Identify what part of your life you want to change. If you say everything, then it is too big. Start with just one area.
- Get clear and then get clearer again. What do you want this area of your life to look like? Is this grounded in reality.
- How are you going to begin to accomplish this? Remember small steps at first that do not overwhelm you.
- Track your progress. Look to see how each one of your steps is being accomplished and leading you towards your bigger vision. Applaud yourself and let yourself feel good about each finished goal.
- If you are starting to hesitate and slow down in doing your various stages, then stand back again and get clear. You have to put emotional energy into feeling your vision. Embrace the feeling of how you might feel when you accomplish your goals. Do not let go of that feeling, it will propel you forward.
- Stay focused on what your original vision is. Remember earlier we said that when you begin to change one area of your life other areas will also begin to change due to the ripple effect. Do not become distracted. Deal with what you may need to then return to the vision.
- Fear, anxiety, even panic will absolutely attempt to force you not to change. Fear is what keeps us in the same place, doing the same thing. Don't let fear ruin your dreams. Deal with it and keep moving forward. The closer you get to your vision the more fear will play out.
- Having done all these things, then go for the gusto. Embrace that new job, the new relationship or your new level of fitness. Whatever you have chosen as your goal. Do not sit back and find fault with it. That is your fear trying one more time to get you to go back to the status quo. Applaud yourself for the movements you have made in your life.
- Finally be sure of what you are asking for and working towards. You may just get it! Again, be clear from the outset.
It is important to have dreams and visions. They are crucial to move us forward and create new things in our life. You must truly believe in your vision and actively move toward it. Sitting back and wishing for something without doing any thing about it will only give you more wishes, lots of frustration and no results. As the old saying goes- "God helps those who help themselves". Happy Dreams!